Photo: Flavien Mabit
See the Sandspit Community Map to get your bearings
Located on the northern shores of Moresby Island, Sandspit is the only community on Moresby Island and is connected to Graham Island by a small vehicle ferry connecting to Skidegate. For schedules of the Kwuna ferry, please click here.
Sandspit is a hotbed for fishing especially during the late Coho runs in September and October, but also offers wonderful camping opportunities.
Birding, hiking and kayaking are also popular activities in the area.
There is a marina and harbour, located in the western part of town.
Sandspit also has one of the Islands two golf courses, the Willows Golf Course.
There are popular campgrounds along the logging roads, which form a circle route with the community to the campsites of Gray Bay and Mosquito Lake (a popular swimming and fishing spot). Pallant Creek flows out of the lake and joins the ocean about 5km downstream with an estuary at Moresby Camp.
Moresby Camp is used extensively by operators providing tours and trips into Gwaii Haanas.
- Population - 296
- Elevation - Sea Level
- Airport (Air Canada)
- Visitor Centre (Open mid may to mid september, every day)
- Marina (state of the art facility and only septic pump out station on north coast)
- Public showers / Laundromat / Sani-station at the 501 Campground
- Grocery Store and liquor store - Supervalu (free delivery to visitors at the marina)
- Rental cars at the airport Terminal - Budget (free delivery to visitors at the marina)
- Card lock fuel station - Fast fuel
- Post office
Sandspit Photo Gallery
Our trip planning directory will help you decide where to stay, where to eat and what to do. Choose a category and browse through the services and recreational opportunities in this location.