Reservations for the busy summer season are strongly recommended Call ahead on VHF 73 to contact the Wharfinger.
Overlooking the calm inlets to the west and the wild Hecate Strait to the east, Sandspit is located on a long peninsula at the northeast tip of Moresby Island. With just over 300 people, the community is the only settlement on Moresby Island, one of the two main islands of Haida Gwaii
Sandspit and the surrounding area are rich in recreational opportunities including fishing, hiking, biking, golf, beachcombing, and camping. The visitor centre staff can help you find local businesses offering accommodation, dining, groceries and liquor, vehicle rentals, outdoor equipment rentals and sales, and tours and charters in the area.
Sandspit has the largest airport on Haida Gwaii with daily flights from Vancouver (Air Canada). It is also considered the gateway to Gwaii Haanas National Park and SGaang Gwaay, the UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Sandspit Marina is a state of the art facility with the only ‘septic pump out’ on the north coast. It also has fuel, electricity, potable water, public showers and washrooms as well as access to a laundromat, vehicle rentals, tour operator, and a boat store (mechanic/parts) across from the marina. Free delivery of groceries and rental cars is offered to visitors at the harbour.
Eighty-four slips are available for permanent and transient moorage, accommodating vessels up to 114' in length. Visitors can also use a 2.5 ton lift, storage yard, seaplane float, and launching ramp in this quiet, well-protected harbour. Spacious fairways allow for safe and easy maneuverability.
Top Five Attractions:
- Experience Haida history on a Zodiac Tour to Haida Heritage Sites in Gwaii Haanas (through Moresby Explorers)
- Book a sport fishing charter and catch a big one on the west coast
- Enjoy the tranquility of river fishing deep in the rainforest
- Long stretches of sandy beach await you at Grey Bay - swim, camp, and comb the beaches for treasures
- Relax with a round of golf at the 18-hole seashore golf course
- 84 slips
- Fuel, potable water & hydro
- Public restrooms, showers, phone
- Access to a laudromat (501 RV/Tent Park campground)
- Free grocery and rental car delivery to the harbour
- Septic pump out